Time for a cooking recipe! If we’re lucky, some of the alcohol might even make its way into the food. This one is adapted from seriouseats.com.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, roughly broken up by hand
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil, then reduce to a bare simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 1/4, about 20 minutes. Add heavy cream, increase heat to bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and continue to cook until reduced again by 1/4, about 20 minutes longer. Add vodka and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Let sauce cool slightly, then transfer half of sauce to the jar of a blender. Blend, starting on lowest speed and gradually increasing to high until completely smooth, about 2 minutes total. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl. Repeat with remaining half of sauce. Sauce can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.