Now that Nowcado (check it out at nowcado.com) supports groceries and can be an integral part of your dinner plans by helping you determine where to get items, we thought it would be a good opportunity to share some dinner recipes!
After being away from Seattle for a short while, we started to crave Beecher’s “World’s Best” Mac and Cheese. Fortunately, we learned that they posted their recipe to enjoy online here! Today we will cover how to make the sauce which is great over any pasta or as a fondue-like dip. Note that the quality of the cheese you use has a huge impact on how good this sauce is (don’t buy pre-shredded cheese!), and you can certainly change the cheeses.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 7 ounces aged Cheddar cheese, in block/wedge form (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 ounce Monterey Jack (can substitute aged Mozzarella, aged Cheddar, or even Gruyere or Jarlsberg), in block/wedge form (1/4 cup)
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Grate the cheeses with a cheese grater.
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Continue whisking and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly. Cook until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add cheeses, salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Stir until cheese is melted and all ingredients are incorporated, about 3 minutes.