- Rinse the lingonberries thoroughly and put them in a bowl. Pour in the sugar, and gently stir until sugar is dissolved. Store in the refrigerator until serving.
- Add two tablespoons water and the stock to the pan used to make the meatballs, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Adjust heat to low and simmer until sauce is reduced by one third, about 3 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and continue to cook until the sauce is at the desired consistency (you can add the butter now to help thicken it if you’d like).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding a pinch of sugar if desired.
- Serve meatballs, sauce, lingonberry jam, and pickles immediately. Can serve with mashed potatoes and a few sprigs of dill if you like.