#Garam #Masala is a popular Indian spice mix which has many slightly different recipes. Here is one recipe you can use:
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1.5 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1.5 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cardamom seeds
- 3-6 dried red chilies, broken in pieces, seeds discarded (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon asofoetida seeds
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon methi seeds or fenugreek
- Put all ingredients except the ground spices and chilies in a dry heavy skillet over no higher than medium heat, stirring until they turn several shades darker and give off a sweet smoky aroma, about 8 minutes. Shake the pan often to prevent them from burning.
- Cool completely. Transfer the mixture to a spice mill or clean coffee grinder and grind to a powder. Stir in all other spices.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark, dry place. The mix will keep for up to 3 months if stored properly.