Here is the recipe for the iconic #MintJulep, the official drink for the #KentuckyDerby. Get the best price on the ingredients with nowcado.com.
- 4 cups bourbon
- 2 bunches fresh spearmint
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Powdered sugar
- Remove about 40 small mint leaves. Wash and place in a small bowl, cover with 3 ounces bourbon, and let the leaves soak for 15 minutes. Gather the leaves in paper towels and wring the mint over the bowl of whisky. Dip the bundle again and repeat the process several times.
- Mix 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of distilled water in a small saucepan. Heat to dissolve sugar, stirring constantly. Set simple syrup aside to cool.
- Pour 3 1/2 cups of bourbon into a large glass bowl or glass pitcher. Add 1 cup of the simple syrup to the bourbon.
- Add the mint extract 1 tablespoon at a time to the julep mixture until there is a soft mint aroma and taste – about 3 tablespoons total. Pour the whole mixture back into the empty container and refrigerate it for at least 24 hours to “marry” the flavors.
- To serve the julep, fill each glass (preferably a silver mint julep cup) 1/2 full with shaved ice. Insert a sprig of mint and then pack in more ice to about 1-inch over the top of the cup. Then, insert a straw that has been cut to 1-inch above the top of the cup so the nose is forced close to the mint when sipping the julep.
- When frost forms on the cup, pour the refrigerated julep mixture over the ice and add a sprinkle of powdered sugar to the top of the ice. Serve immediately.