We found a great #cheese stuffed French toast recipe at bhg.com to kick off our brunch week! This series will cover several drinks and meals that you can make at home for brunch. Remember to check out nowcado.com to get a great deal on the ingredients.
- 12 slices Texas toast
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 4 oz mascarpone
- 1/2 c chopped pecans or macademia nuts
- 11 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 eggs
- 3 c milk
- 1/2 c whipping cream
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 tbsp plain sugar
- 1.5 tsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 banana
- In a medium saucepan stir together whipping cream, butter, 3/4 c (e.g. 9 tbsp) brown sugar, 2 tbsp plain sugar, and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking occasionally, and reduce to medium. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and 1/2 tsp salt. Pour into small bowl, then cool to room temperature.
- Thinly slice banana and stir in to mixture. Put the caramel-banana sauce to the side for now.
- Arrange half of the bread slices in a single layer in a 3-quart baking dish.
- Combine cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, pecans/macademia nuts, 2 tbsp brown sugar, cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp salt in a small bowl.
- Spread cheese mixture over the bread in the baking dish, then top with the remaining bread slices to make six stacks.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, and 1/4 tsp salt. Pour egg mixture over bread stacks, covering all the tops. Cover with plastic wrap and chill between 2-24 hours in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 15x10x1 baking pan with parchment paper and arrange bread stacks in the pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden, turning stacks every 15 minutes. Serve warm with the caramel-banana sauce.