Borani Banjan (Afghan Eggplant)
This is a great #vegetarian recipe that uses both fried eggplant, chakka, and a few other fried vegetables. It’s really filling, slightly salty, but relatively speaking is still fairly healthy.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 lbs medium eggplants
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 2 c chakka
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp, or to taste cayenne pepper
- As needed salt
- As needed peanut oil
- Begin drying the eggplant and follow the previous instructions for frying.
- While waiting for the eggplant to dry, make the chakka if you have not already. You can also begin chopping the other vegetables up. Slice the onions from pole to pole in ¼ inch slices to get several onion rings. Do the same for the green pepper and tomato. If you find the juices of the tomato running with too much liquid after slicing, you can sprinkle the slices with a light amount of salt.
- Once the eggplant has finished frying, leave the oil in the pan and keep it hot, using it to fry the onion slices until they are translucent and just slightly starting to brown.
- Remove the onions from the pan but keep the pan hot (medium or med-low should be hot enough to keep the oil bubbling by this point). The next step is to layer all the vegetables. First put enough fried eggplant pieces back in to cover the base. Add a slight sprinkling of salt and chili pepper, then add the onions. Add more salt and chili pepper, then the tomato. Use more salt and chili pepper, then add the green pepper. Repeat the layering process with any vegetables that might be remaining.
- Add the water to the pan and cover with a lid. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes. When it’s done you should end up with something like this:
- To plate, first add half the chakka needed for one serving to the bottom. Carefully add the vegetable mixture on top of that, then cover that with the remaining chakka.
- Finally serve with flatbread on the side. You will want it to help soak up any remaining chakka and juices!