Here is the tl;dr recipe-only version of the french fry science post from yesterday.
Prep time: 25 hours
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 hours
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 lb russet potatoes
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 4 c water
- 4 c peanut oil
- Salt as needed
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch pieces.
- Submerge fries in pan with water, vinegar, and 1 tbsp salt. Bring to boil over high heat, then boil 10 minutes. Dry fries well with a paper towel and let them sit on the towel for about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan to 400 F, then fry the fries for about 1 minute before letting them rest on a paper towel. Let the oil get back up to temperature and repeat with all remaining fries. Let the fries sit on the paper towels until they cool, about half an hour. Save any remaining oil in the refrigerator for future frying.
- Put the fries in a container or Ziploc bag and freeze for at least 24 hours.
- When ready to eat, heat 4 c oil again and fry until golden brown (about 4 minutes). Let the fries drain their oil on a paper towel, and season with salt.