As it sometimes happens, you have a bunch of ingredients left over and need to figure out a way to turn those things into dinner. That was recently the case for us at Nowcado. The way we solved it? Breakfast burritos!
The recipe was pretty simple. We fried up some french fries extra long to make them crispy like hash-browns might be, cooked some eggs with several spices, then wrapped it all in a grilled tortilla. Really easy to make, a great use of leftover ingredients, filling, and it tasted pretty good, too! In fact, we even managed to make it entirely in one pan, which is great for our small kitchen.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 4 medium tortillas
- 4-6 eggs
- 1 batch frozen french fries
- 4 c peanut oil
- 4-6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Begin boiling the oil until a drop of water sizzles. Cook the fries in the oil for longer than you would normally (6-8 minutes) – we want to get a hash-brown like consistency.
- Remove the fries and drain on a paper towel, then reserve most of the remaining oil for future use, leaving a little in the pan for the eggs.
- Crack the eggs and scramble mixed with all of the spices (chili flakes, oregano, cayenne and black pepper, and salt).
- Heating the pan back up with the oil, then fry the egg over medium heat for a few minutes until done.
- Remove the cooked eggs and set aside. Lightly cook the tortillas in the pan on both sides, about a minute per side. You just want to get them hot and only slightly crisped.
- Last, assemble the burritos. Put the eggs and fries inside, then roll up. We actually doubled the fry recipe to have additional fries to eat on the side. Optionally serve with hot sauce.