Insalata caprese (or salad of Capri) is a famous Italian salad of fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, and basil. This combination is famous also in the Margherita pizza – both use the red, white, and green ingredients because they represent the Italian flag. This is a simple recipe for a sandwich using the caprese salad ingredients, lightly grilled to be warm but not so much that it causes the fresh ingredients to get cooked like you might see in the Margherita.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 Roma tomato
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella balls, cherry-sized (ciliegine)
- 4 basil sprigs
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Balsamic vinegar to taste
- Slice the tomato in to 4 parts.
- Open the sandwiches, and put the tomato slices on to the top half of each bun.
- Top the tomato with the mozzarella.
- Remove the leaves from the basil, and place on top of the mozzarella.
- Cover the basil with the bottom bun. You should be left with a fully formed upside-down sandwich.
- Heat a pan on medium-high and place the upside-down sandwiches onto the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until top bun is crispy.
- Carefully flip the sandwiches right-side up and cook another 2 minutes or until bottom bun is crispy.
- Put the sandwiches onto a plate. Remove the top bun and pour balsamic vinegar as desired. Replace the bun and eat!