- What is Nowcado?
- Oh noes! I searched for an item in Nowcado and found that the price was wrong. I want to help!
- That’s awesome! How do I add new items to Nowcado?
- Must I scan the item in the store? I am nervous about doing this.
- I see you are focused in San Francisco and College Park. I do not live in those places. That makes me a sad panda.
- What platforms are you available on?
- Why do I need to make an account?
- How do I make an account?
- I don’t want to send any details or activity about myself to Facebook (or any other mega corporation). How is Nowcado protecting me in this dangerous world?
- I don’t buy groceries or alcohol often, but I really like the idea of optimizing my clothing/bicycle/action figure/portal gun shopping trip. What are you planning on doing to help me?
- I am an app developer and would love to make an app or website that helps my users shop for <insert thing I care about here>. Do you expose an API that I can use to leverage your optimization analysis?
- I like finding the best deals about products, but I don’t like that you make me do work to enter new things in. Will this get easier in the future?
Nowcado is a local comparison shopping service that can quickly optimize the best combination of stores to visit for your shopping trips based on your preferences, shopping list, and current location.
Fear not, eagle-eyed shopper! All the prices are crowdsourced, so you simply must click on the store where the price was wrong from the item page, change the price in the textbox, and submit.
There are two ways to do this.
- If the product already exists at some other store, you can:
- Search for it.
- Click the “Add to other store” button to add a price at a new store (or add the store if we don’t have it listed).
- Whether the product exists or not, you can also:
- Click the “Add Item” menu button to select the store where the item is sold (or add the store if we don’t have it listed).
- Scan the barcode of the product. If the product exists in our database, the name will be retrieved, but otherwise you may enter it.
- Enter the price and submit it to our database.
Although we have done a fair bit of this ourselves, we do not recommend this approach. The best way is to not change your shopping habits at all! When you return from your shopping run, simply scan the barcodes of the products you bought using the prices listed on your receipt.
5. I see you are focused in San Francisco and College Park. I do not live in those places. That makes me a sad panda.
Not to worry. Since all our data is crowdsourced, you can add items near you today! The more you add, the better Nowcado can optimize your shopping trips based on your preferences. This has already started happening in a few areas around us, so you may already see some data near you right now.
Essentially, it lets you unleash the power of Nowcado. Our cart feature that optimizes your shopping trip is tied to your account, as you may be familiar with on other shopping websites. We also have some exciting new features in the works that will be tied to your account.
There are two ways to do this, though we have plans to support additional account creation/sign in methods besides these in the future.
- If you sign in with Facebook, we use your email address in order to automagically create a Nowcado account for you (the email is required as we use it for things such as notifying you about changes to your account or sending you a shopping trip – we will never spam you or share these addresses with anyone).
- If you sign in with Google, it is the same process – we use your email to automatically create an account for you, or sign in to your existing account if it uses the same email address.
- You can create a traditional account by signing up with your email address and a username, confirming your email address, and then signing in with it in the app.
9. I don’t want to send any details or activity about myself to Facebook (or any other mega corporation). How is Nowcado protecting me in this dangerous world?
We know how important your online privacy is, and we are doing a number of things in this area.
- We never send any information or activity to any network in any way. When you log in, we only retrieve the email address and username on file with that network, but we don’t receive anything else.
- While you are signed in, we do not interact with any network ever again. As proof of this, you could try disallowing Nowcado from your Facebook or other network account and see that we continue to function perfectly (unless you sign out and try to sign back in again – which is the only reason we don’t recommend disallowing Nowcado permanently).
- You can learn more about how the actual sign in process works on Facebook by referring to our previous post here.
10. I don’t buy groceries or alcohol often, but I really like the idea of optimizing my grocery/clothing/bicycle/action figure/portal gun shopping trip. What are you planning on doing to help me?
We started with a niche of liquor stores and have already begun expanding into grocery stores, and we would like to continue with other areas so that we can optimize all of your shopping trips to help save you time and money.
11. I am an app developer and would love to make an app or website that helps my users shop for <insert thing I care about here>. Do you expose an API that I can use to leverage your optimization analysis?
It isn’t publicly visible just yet, but yes, all of our products implement an API right now. We are in the process of adding documentation so that it is more accessible for other developers. If you fall in to this category, please contact us!
12. I like finding the best deals about products, but I don’t like that you make me do work to enter new things in. Will this get easier in the future?
We will likely always have a crowd-sourced component to our service, but we hope to partner with stores so that we can retrieve their product information directly. You can help make this happen by encouraging your favorite local stores to come talk to us!